The North East Trinidad District of the Pentecostal Assemblies of the West Indies is one of the eleven Districts operating in the fellowship of the Pentecostal Assemblies of the West Indies (PAWI). The instrument that God used to initiate the Pentecostal Movement in the West Indies, and specifically Trinidad and Tobago, was the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada (PAOC) which was started in 1919.
The persons directly responsible were Mr. and Mrs. Robert J. Jamieson. Missionaries to the West Indies under the branch of the Holiness Movement Assembly arrived in Trinidad in 1920, within four months, seventy persons were baptized. In 1927 they were strengthened by an enforcement crew from Canada, Reverend and Mrs. Harry Egglenton from British Colombia also began to labour and successfully did so in the islands for 30 years. At first, stationed in Trinidad, they took up the Pastorate in Woodbrook Church, which was the largest at the time.
In 1958 other significant events took place; the political status of the West Indies was altered; the renaming to West Indies Federation; The capital of Trinidad changed from St. Joseph to Port-of-Spain. This was to affect the relationship of the Pentecostal Church in the West Indies with those in Canada. At the Seventh Biannual Conference of the West Indian District of PAOC, a motion was passed authorizing the Conference to change its name to Pentecostal Assemblies of the West Indies (PAWI). This marked the beginning of a great movement for God’s Glory.
The first Conference was held on August 17th, 1946 at Kashmir Villa, Petit Valley, Trinidad. This Conference is known today as the “General Conference of the Pentecostal Assemblies of the West Indies.”
Until 1956, Trinidad was designated a ‘section’ of the West Indies. The island was divided then into two internal ‘sections,’ North and South. From 1976 the internal ‘sections’ were changed to ‘districts.’ The North Trinidad District held its first Annual District Conference in 1977. Reverend Alfred Mulcare was the Superintendent, he served until his death in 1978. Reverend H. Raymond became the next Superintendent. At the Fourth Annual North Trinidad District Conference in 1980, the district was sub-divided into North West and North East. Reverend I. Smith was elected Superintendent.
In 1980, the North East Trinidad District officially started with a core of nineteen churches. These churches were Arima, Arouca, Boundary Road, Coryal, Four Roads Tamana, Cumana, Curepe, D’Abadie, El Dorado, Guaico, Kelly Village, Las Lomas, Valley Chapel, Valencia, Talparo, Manzanilla, Mount Hope, Piarco, San Juan and Sangre Grande.
Between 18th July 1985 and 23rd July 1985, Resolution Number fourteen (14) was approved at an Emergency General Conference of PAWI, held at WIST, giving to the District of Trinidad and Tobago and other Districts/Islands (members of PAWI) the right to govern themselves.
On May 6th 1986, at a meeting of the workers of the Trinidad and Tobago District, the consensus was that each of the four Districts of the Twin-Island Republic should be autonomous; this was a new structure for PAWI.
In 1986 Reverend Alister Alexander was elected First Chairman of the National Council of Trinidad and Tobago. In 1988 a Draft Policy was discussed and accepted. At present, a draft constitution has been drawn up and is in operation.